Friday, September 23, 2011
I do knitting/crocheting finishing and repair work for our local yarn shop, Knit. My favorite kind of finishing job is when a client gives me a sweater that Grandma intended for someone, but left only partially completed before death overtook (no doubt I will be leaving a closet full myself). Sometimes there is just not enough yarn to complete, sometimes the pattern is long gone and I just have to wing it. I love this kind of challenge!
My least favorite kind of finishing job is when I am handed a project only barely started, especially if the client is using cheap acrylic yarn. I hate cheap acrylic yarn! Once I foolishly agreed to complete a baby blanket for a client. It had been cast on and knit very tightly in garter stitch for about two inches with Red Heart Baby Clouds. And it had a short deadline! Oy, how I struggled with those Clouds, but completed the blanket with days to spare. And then the client "forgot" to pay me. Sheesh!
The past two weeks I have been knitting a baby blanket edging for a client who is also a friend. The yarn is a soft cotton of unknown origin, and she gave me free rein to choose an edging pattern that would look good. I enjoyed making the edging, although it seemed incredible to me how long it took to get around a rather small blanket. The pattern for the edging is a variation of one I found in Nicky Epstein's book, Knitting on the Edge. I gave it a bit of whimsy by adding the bobbles. Today I sewed it on, and it is done and looks great!
Now I can get back to the two cable knit sweaters!
CLICK HERE TO SHOP
Friday, September 2, 2011
It's always been difficult for me to tell the size of a garment knitted on circular needles. So about six inches into the Byzantine Millbrook sweater, I slipped it onto two circular needles so I could spread it out a bit and measure it. It's SIX INCHES TOO SMALL!!!! AAAARGH!!!
I've made gauge errors before, even some very big errors. But not for a long time. For this sweater I made up an especially large gauge swatch, as I always do, so I could get a very accurate gauge. The swatch was in stockinette stitch, so I calculated about how many extra stitches I would need to add for the cables: about 30. (For example, if you have a 6-stitch cable that crosses 3 by 3, you must add 3 stitches for that cable). I FORGOT TO DOUBLE THE ADDED STITCHES FOR THE CABLES IN THE BACK! I should have added 60 stitches: 30 for the front, 30 for the back. I knew this. I really did! I just forgot! Thirty stitches translates to six inches, according to my gauge.
Now, I am WAY to stubborn to rip out six inches of a perfectly beautiful sweater because it is six inches too small. So I am plunging ahead, hoping against hope that I can block (stretch) it out by at least four inches. It will shorten the entire sweater (but I can knit it longer to compensate), flatten the cables, and will probably look bad stretched tight over my fat behind. Depending on how bad it looks, I may even have to give it to a smaller person as a gift- I've done it before! Besides, I am having such a fun time making this sweater that it wouldn't kill me to make another, larger one for myself and my fat behind.
P.S. The Manly College sweater is spot on.
CLICK HERE TO SHOP