Monday, July 9, 2012

EMERGENCY DISHCLOTH

My family and I traveled to the mountains for a vacation recently. I had my knitting bag all ready to go, with the two summer tops and the patterns, extra yarn included. I left it on my recliner and went north without it. I have forgotten items many times on many trips, but NEVER NEVER NEVER have I forgotten my knitting bag!! So what to do? Go to WalMart and pick up some cheap cotton yarn and knitting needles!

I have always enjoyed experimenting with Brioche stitch, so the dishcloth pictured above is a variation on a stitch that I call Brioche twist twist. (Yes, it is the same cloth but showing both sides).  I tried this three-row pattern by switching the colors every two rows. If you are not familiar with Brioche stitch, don't try this in two colors to start!

 Cast on any even number of stitches with Color A. I used #6 needles and 26 stitches.
 Prep row (do this only once): With A, *YO (yarn over), S1wyib (slip one stitch with yarn in back), K1 (knit 1)*. In other words, bring the yarn toward you, in front of your work. Insert your needle into the next stitch as if to purl and slip it to the right needle (S). Then as you knit the next stitch (K1), wrap the yarn over the right needle and to the back (this completes the YO or yarn over). For the next stitch bring the yarn forward again between the needles, slip as if to purl, and knit the next stitch while wrapping the yarn to the back. Repeat to the end.
Row 1 with B*YO S K2tog* Do the same as in  the prep row, but knit two stitches together (K2tog): both the next stitch and the wrap (YO) from the previous row are knitted together.
Row 2 with B: Repeat row 1.
Row 3 (twist row) with A*Purl 1, skip the next stitch, knit the YO from the previous row but don’t slide it off the left needle, then knit the stitch you skipped and slide them both off together*
Row 4 with A: Repeat row 1.
Row 5 with B: Repeat row 1.
Row 6 with B: Repeat row 3.
Row 7 with A: Repeat row 1.
Row 8 with A: Repeat row 1.
Row 9 with B: Repeat row 3.
Row 10 with B: Repeat row 1.
Row 11 with A: Repeat row 1.
Row 12 with A: Repeat row 3.
Repeat these twelve rows for pattern until cloth is square.
Bind off loosely in *K1, k2tog*

JOB UPDATE: I had more or less decided that for the sake of my youngest child, who has two more years of high school, I would get any local job I could. Then I got an interview for a professional geologist position in a city two hours away! The interview went well, but I did not get the job. So now I'm back where I started.

CLICK HERE TO SHOP

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment